Obviously you can find a huge amount of information about the Hebrew alphabet by researching the internet. You certainly don’t need to know any Hebrew to enjoy The Angel of Secrets’ mystical roller-coaster ride. Here are a few salient points:
- The mystical tradition of kabbalah claims that the sounds of Hebrew, letter by letter, are magical evenim – building blocks of creation. The manifested reality we perceive through our usual senses exists because the unstructured, metaphysical energy field, the ground of existence sometimes called ‘God’, has shaped the invisible using sound. Everything is vibrating, at a variety of speeds, and produces a multiplicity of appearances.
- A kabbalist uses the Hebrew sounds for mystical and magical effects. The mystic meditates using the sounds in different combinations, hoping to meet God. The magician uses the sounds as sound-technology, hoping to adjust the material world to suit their desires.
- In The Angel of Secrets, Beth and Dan are searching for a legendary ‘Book’, given to humanity by the angel Raziel, which (amongst other things) may hold the secrets of sound. Beth resists the idea that her personal destiny is being dictated by otherworldly forces. Other characters also want to lay their hands on the Book of Raziel and their motivations are not wholesome!
- Beth is led to find a pack of oracle cards based on the Hebrew alphabet, which displays curious symbols, or characters. Click here to read more about The Angels Script and view images of the cards.
- The symbols Naomi painted on her gown and the symbols used in The Angels Script are called ‘characters’.
See The Book of Creation for more information about the creative power of the Hebrew alphabet.